Women patients ask their Pharmacist whether acetaminophen is risky during
pregnancy. This is because of a recent study that suggests acetaminophen use
during pregnancy might be linked to a higher risk of ADHD in children. The risk
of ADHD seems higher when acetaminophen is used for a longer duration,
especially for 6 weeks or more.
- The new study just suggests an ASSOCIATION between acetaminophen use
during pregnancy and ADHD, it does not prove the drug cause ADHD .
- Occasional use by mom-to-be, still seems safer than other analgesics.
- A fever could be risky to the fetus especially in early pregnancy.
- CAUTION: “mom-to-be,”-Please, CHECK with your Physician before taking
or using any medication.
Measles Vaccination Push with Recent Outbreaks
- Measles was supposed to be “officially eliminated” in the USA in 2000, but
out-breaks could still occur due to foreign travel and low vaccination rate.
- Unprotected travelers can pick up measles in other countries then spread
it to people back home who have not heard it or been vaccinated.
- Many people do not realize that measles is extremely contagious and can
lead to pneumonia, miscarriages, encephalitis and possibly death.
- Pharmacist could help identify patient who could benefit from vaccination.
About 97% of people develop immunity to measles, usually for life, after 2
doses MMR (measles/mumps/rubella).